“Life is what happens while you are busy making plans” – John Lennon.
Ladies and Gentleman,
Life is really quite short. If you spend 15-25 years studying, then another 40 years working 9-5, you really don’t have that much time to do what you want to do. If you don’t focus on what you want right now, this minute, your dreams will drift off and never happen. I have too much outrageously awesome stuff I want to accomplish in this lifetime to let that happen, so to make myself accountable to the world I am making my list public. They say that when you announce your intentions to the world, the universe conspires to give you exactly what you want. So, in no particular order here is my announcement:
My Top 10
1. Find an amazing wife & have awesome kids!
2. Go to outer space!
3. Have complete flexibility over my time and location (Tahiti anyone?)
4. Own businesses that contribute and radically improve people’s lives
5. Climb Mt Everest
6. Represent Australia in Beach Handball
7. Live to 150 years old
8. Squat 100kg for reps, on my 100th birthday
9. Rock the world on Guitar Hero!
10. Live in the mountains and heli-ski 100 days in a season!
I came up with that list by thinking about what was the craziest and coolest stuff I could dream up! If I died at age 150, having accomplished all of those, I think I would laugh quitely to myself in disbelief “You really managed to do all that Dave??!!”
The rest of my list is pretty insanely long, so if you don’t want to read it that’s cool. But for those interested, here it is. If you can help me do any of these, PLEASE drop me a line on email davethompson4163 at gmail dot com.
Stuff to Learn
1. Hip Hop dancing/break dancing
3. Play acoustic guitar enough to entertain my friends for a night
4. Play harmonica well enough to entertain my friends for a night
5. Be conversationally fluent in a foreign language, either Japanese, German, Spanish, or Mandarin.
6. Have a dinner party where friends rave about my cooking skills
7. Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef and Mediterranean Sea
8. Spear fishing
9. Free diving
10. Be a ski instructor
11. Complete avalanche training
Physical Challenges – Travel Adventures
12. Climb Island Peak 6189m, Himilaya, Nepal
13. Climb Ama Dablam 6812m, Himilaya, Nepal
14. Climb Mt Everest 8848m, Himilaya, Nepal
15. Visit Maccu Pichu, Peru
16. Kokoda Track, PNG
17. Ski the backcountry in Japan, USA especially Alasaka, Canada, French Alps
18. Climb Mt Kosciosko, 2228m, Australia
19. Ski down a Hawaiin volcano
20. Ski the Gulmarg Range in Pakistan/India
21. Get a barrell surfing
22. Ski tits deep, anywhere fluffy
23. Catch a 45lb+ salmon in Alaska or Canada
24. Catch a 500lb+ Marlin
25. Catch Giant Trevally smashing poppers over bommies
26. Catch a 100cm Barramundi
27. Catch a 4m+ shark with big-ass teeth!
28. Catch any sort of fish, while ice-fishing, anywhere
29. Take a yacht for a 60 day+ trip somewhere tropical
30. See a bear eat a salmon that is swimming upstream
31. Go hunting and shoot something (preferably a pest)
32. Go diving, pull a big crayfish out of a hole single handedly, then cook him and eat him! YUMMMMM!
33. Fish the Swains Reef in Queensland, Australia
34. Deliver a keynote speech in front of a big crowd
35. Paraglide somewhere cool
36. Be a No.1 New York Times Best Selling Author
37. Swim with sharks
38. Play the bagpipes once
39. See the Northern Lights, in Canada or Scandanavia
40. Ski at midnight under the midnight sun in July from Sweden into Norway at Riksgransen
41. GO TO SPACE BY 2020!! This one is non-negotiable and WILL happen!
42. Bungee Jump the big bridge at Queenstown, New Zealand
43. Race a Formula 1 car
44. Fly a light plane or helicopter solo
45. Fly 1st class long haul at least once
46. Catch a Noosa-style longboard wave on a stand up paddle board
General Cool Stuff
47. Take a hot air baloon trip at sunrise/sunset with my lovely wife (p.s. currently single!)
48. Stay in an over water beach bungalow in Bora Bora, Tahiti.
49. Have ready access to a private jet (Tahiti or Tokyo anyone?)
And there is about another 200 items, but I will put them up here later 🙂
It’s so easy to get caught up in the rat race and live your life from the four corners of a cubicle. Sometimes you get so comfortable in that cubicle, it becomes scary to leave. The good news is that if you put aside your fear, and step to the ledge, you will be seen, and your wildest dreams will find a way of happening. Don’t live defer your life any longer, “Get off the bitch train!” (thanks Gary Vee!) and write your story now!
“The best way to predict the future, is to create it.” – Abraham Lincoln